Thursday, October 14, 2004

Thank God It's Over!

The debates are done and I am happy to live in a state that is solidly red. This means that I don't have to endure endless ads like the poor folks in Ohio and the other battleground states. Yep, stick a fork in me, I am done! Now all I have to do is check polls and some sane blogs (the few that are left). Watching the talking heads will be enjoyable because I can turn them off whenever I want.

As for the debates. Who knows? I have no idea why people vote the way they do. All I know is that this election is more about ideaolgy than issues. People will have to toss their hats into either the conservative or liberal tent. How far into the tent the hat goes is up to them. The left still hates the "L" word. Kerry runs from it whenever it is brought up. The right seems more inclusive and will drift center no matter who wins. With Ahnold and Rudy out front and center the right has no choice. Also, a war tends to solidify the right and split the left.

If I am right that idealogy will drive votes, it will be interesting to see if there have been any significant changes in how some states traditionally vote. The northeast will go to Kerry. The south will go to Bush. The far west to Kerry. The near west to Bush. The rest is a best guess. Checking polling often may reveal a trend, but remember to use polling for entertainment purposes only.

So it will be boring unless someone screws up or some amazing piece of dirt is revealed about a candidate. Unless one of the two happens, my focus will drift elsewhere.

Maybe it will be revealed that Bush is a master speaker and that his mangling of the english language is an act. Maybe Kerry will lay hands on cripples and make them walk as Edwards predicted. (Wouldn't that make Edwards a prophet?)

Now that would be good stuff to write about.